ODC THEATER ANNOUNCES 2014 RAININ OPPORTUNITY FUND FOR SELF-PRODUCING ARTISTS
Rainin Scholarship Opportunity Fund
ODC Theater has partnered with the Kenneth Rainin Foundation to create an eponymous opportunity fund at ODC to support self-producing artists through its open access rental program. The Rainin Foundation has made a commitment of $20,000 a year to support the administration of scholarship subsidies to self-producing artists in ODC Theater.
Now, in the program’s third year, up to five artists will be awarded a scholarship to self-produce/rent ODC’s B’Way Theater, in 2014. Applications will be considered and scored by a panel, and the awarded artists will receive a subsidized rental week in the theater. Subsidy scholarships will cover a minimum of 50% of the production space and labor costs for the artists.
This opportunity is also specifically geared towards dance artists who must have dates booked in ODC’s main space within the same calendar year.
Scholarships will be awarded based on artistic merit and need.
Applications are due by 5pm on Friday, October 18, 2013.
Deliverable electronically to email@example.com, or in person at the Front Desk of the ODC Dance Commons (351 Shotwell St., S.F. 94110)
ELIGIBILITY & REQUIREMENTS
- Recipients must be Bay Area Dance Artists.
- Recipients must self-produce and offer a public performance in ODC Theater’s main space (B’Way Theater) within the 2014 calendar year.
- A signed MOU confirming dates will be required within 30 days of notification in order to claim the scholarship.
- All promotional materials (print and electronic) will be asked to acknowledge the Rainin Opportunity Fund at ODC Theater.
- All recipients will be required to complete a post-production report and participate in grant reporting, as needed.
-Any previous or current Rainin funding received by the applicant directly from the foundation will not be a factor one way or the other in consideration for this scholarship.
HOW TO APPLY
(1) Submit a proposal with the following information:
- ARTIST/COMPANY NAME
- PRODUCTION NAME
- CHOREOGRAPHER(S) (if different from artist/company name)
- ARTIST/COMPANY WEBSITE
- PRIMARY CONTACT NAME, PHONE NUMBER, and EMAIL ADDRESS
(2) Please answer these questions:
-Why is ODC Theater the best venue for this particular work or performance?
-Do you have dates secured at ODC Theater in 2014?
If not, what are your preferred dates?
-What are the total expenses projected for your engagement (creation to presentation)?
-What percentage of that is performance space and labor?
-What other funding sources are you pursuing or have you secured for this
-How will this budget relief help you or expand your capacity, specifically? For example, we will be able to invest XX dollars in marketing and hope to increase our projected audience attendance to XX%. Or, we traditionally have paid a flat rate to performers for rehearsal and performance. Having space and labor partially underwritten will allow us to augment performance fees by XX%
(3) Please submit a work sample. - 5 minutes maximum
-The panel will review the 5 minute excerpt you provide but is always happy to have the entire work available to see more and/or understand the arc of work sample you’re sharing.
- Online video links or URLs are preferred. Please provide any passwords to view, if needed.
- If unable to upload video, please provide a clearly labeled DVD. This will not be returned.
October 18, 2013: Applications are due for 2014.
November 4, 2013: Scholarship recipients will be notified.
December 4, 2013: 2014 recipients will be publically announced.